Career as Company Secretary - Know here the details of Company Secretary Courses and Colleges in India.
Company Secretary Courses and Colleges
Company secretary acts as a bridge between the management and the directors, government and the shareholders. Company secretaries get the due respect from the management and others alike, so this is the main reason why this job is considered prestigious. Usually the job involves guiding the directors on the laws and suggesting ways to improve the functioning of the company. In spite of the responsibilities, people choose company secretary ship as a profession for the importance in the hierarchy of the company.
* Bachelor of Corporate Secretaryship - Duration : 3 years
* Master of Corporate Secretaryship - Duration : 2 years
Candidates who have passed 10+2 can join this course. It contains the following 4 courses and the duration is 8 months.
* Business Communication
* Business Laws and Management
* Principles of Accountancy
* Economics and Statistics
Candidates having graduation are exempted from this foundation course. They can directly do Intermediate and Final courses.
Candidates who have passed foundation course or having graduation are eligible for this course. It is a 9 months course. It contains following papers
* Industrial laws
* Tax laws and procedures
* Cost and management accounting economic and other legislation
* Company law and practice
* Theory and practice of company accounts
* Financial Management
* Management control and Information
* Corporate tax management - direct and indirect
* Secretarial and Management audit
* Corporate law and practice
* Candidates having graduation in Master of Corporate Secretaryship, MCom, and MBA can get exemptions in four papers of Intermediate Exam.
* Candidates who have passed the final examination of the ICWA are exempted from three papers.
Company Secretary Training
Candidates who have passed the final exam should undertake training for 4 months in a reputed company which has paid up capital more than 25 lakhs.
Candidates who have passed the Final Examination and have completed practical training are entitled to get themselves enrolled as Associate Members. On admission to the Associateship, they are entitled to use the descriptive letters "ACS" after their names, denoting that they are Associate Members of the Institute. They can also use the designation "Company Secretary" after their name.
Associate Members become eligible to get themselves enrolled as a Fellow after five years, provided he fulfils other conditions stipulated in the Institute's regulations. When admitted to the Fellowship, he is entitled to use the descriptive letters FCS after his name. So far, the ACS qualification has been recognized by 24 Universities for admission to the PhD course. As stated earlier, a person who has passed the Final examination of the Institute and wishes to pursue the Cost Accountancy Course of the ICWAI is entitled to exemptions in some papers of the ICWAI examinations.
Career Opportunities for Company Secretary
* Government sectors like Financial Institutions, Stock Exchanges etc.
* Government sectors like Finance,Law,Accounts and Merchant banking divisions of nationalised banks and Central Government Law Services etc.
* Chairman, directors and managing directories etc. in companies.