Mycollege gives some of the points in the preparation procedure, things you will want to look into while getting ready for your college interview.
What is an interview?
An interview is a face-to-face meeting, especially for the purpose of obtaining a statement for assessing the qualities of a candidate.
Preparation for the interview
* Practice makes perfect, and that is especially true for interviewing skills. For a successfull interview, you need to practice your answers to typical questions, review your body language, and determine what works well and what does not.
* Practice in front of a mirror or with your friend or family member. Practice with the general questions normally asked in interviews. Write down answers if it helps to make your presentation more concise.
* Practice to maintain eye contact.
Know the history of the company
* It is important to know the background of the company you apply for. Find out the kind of business the company does, how big it is, and how it has been performing. Understanding the company helps you to understand the job for which you are going for the interview.
Practice for questions
* You should anticipate the general questions and you should be prepared for the same. Your answer must convince the recruiter that you are the qualified person for the job.
Practice for commonly asked questions like
* Self introduction and why are you interested in this job?
* Make a list of your strengths and weaknesses
* Why are you leaving your present job?
* Where do you see yourself in five years?
Many recruiters will use your resume as a source of questions during the interview. Review your resume and prepare the questions according to the mentioned skills and experience.
Identify what you have to offer
* Your educational qualifications
* Your additional skills
* Your project explanation briefly
* Your seminar presentations, if any
Pre- Interview Checklist
* Do you have the necessary things for the interview such as 2-3 copies of the resume, pen, notebook, etc? If you have any references, collect the name and addresses of the references.
* Do you know the brief history of the organization that you are going to attend the interview?
* Do you know the interviewer's name? If not, get it before attending the interview.
* Have you prepared for the usual interview questions?
Dressing for the interview
* Dress properly for the interview. Color plays a key role in projecting a professional image.
* Neutral colors can be relied on to convey a competent and capable image. Neutral colors include navy blue, gray, camel, cream, white, beige and black. These colors look both professional and keep the focus of the interview on you and what you are saying.
* Use a simple hairstyle. Your hair should be clean, trimmed, and in place.
* Fingernails should be clean and trimmed.
* Men should have dark shoes with dark socks. They should not have beards.
* Women should have only one set of ear rings and should not have more than one ring on each hand.
* Makeup should be minimized and perfume should be as light and unnoticeable as possible